I don’t look to jump over 7-foot bars:
I look around for 1-foot bars
that I can step over.
~ Warren Buffett
It’s clear that Warren Buffett knows a thing or two about success, as the world’s most successful investor. How can we apply his thoughts on success to your job search?
Finding Jobs and Getting Interviews
- 7-Foot Bar: Applying Online
- When you apply online for a listed job, you are fighting for attention among dozens (if not hundreds) of job seekers. That’s a huge obstacle for you, and it makes it almost impossible to get an interview.
- 1-Foot Bar: Contacting the Hiring Manager
- The easiest path to getting an interview is to find a hiring manager at a company you’d like to work for and contact him or her directly–regardless of whether or not they have a job posted. Not only will you stand out and get attention, you will uncover jobs that aren’t posted yet (hidden jobs make up a large percentage of all available jobs). Find out about my proven system for contacting and communicating with hiring managers to get interviews – Hidden Jobs Finder.
Updating Your Resume
- 7-Foot Bar: Do It Yourself or Paying an Expensive Resume Writing Service
- If it’s been a while since you updated your resume, it takes a lot of time to try and figure out what goes and what doesn’t. And, you may not get it right. (If you are sending out your resume but not getting called for interviews, it probably isn’t you–it’s your resume.) Some resume writing services cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars, and don’t give you a guarantee of success.
- 1-Foot Bar: Extreme Resume Makeover Kit
- My easy, stress-free resume writing kit walks you through how to write a job-winning resume beginning to end–and has a money-back guarantee. Find out more here: Extreme Resume Makeover Kit
Getting the Job Offer When You Interview
- 7-Foot Bar: Interviews
- By themselves, interviews can be 7-foot bars. They are time-consuming and stressful, with no guarantee that you’ll do well enough to establish rapport, show your value, and receive a job offer.
- 1-Foot Bar: Interviews with 30-60-90-Day Plans
- Bringing a quality 30-60-90-Day Plan (1 page isn’t enough) greases the interview wheels by helping you communicate at a more significant level and showing your true value as a future employee. See what a difference a 30 60 90 day plan can make.
Get a perfect 30-60-90-Day Plan Template and Coaching:
• 30-60-90-Day Sales Plans for Sales jobs
• 30-60-90-Day Plan for Managers for any Management-level role
• 30-60-90-Day Plan for Executives for any Director, President, VP, or C-Level position