Here’s something I really want you to see: Life coach Kurt DuNard has written an excellent piece on effective visualization techniques to achieve success in your life. I firmly believe that visualizing your success works to help you reach it because you are focused on your goal. The first step to making the free throw is picturing the ball swishing through the net. The surest way to reach a financial goal is to write it down. Expecting a great outcome in an interview causes you to project confidence in it, which contributes to your success. It’s not magic–you still have to practice your free throws, work to make money, and develop your interview skills–but visualization makes it much more likely that you will hit your goal.
So, read the article, take it all in, and apply these techniques to your job search today. Anticipate your success.
Effective Visualization– How To Use The Subconscious & Law Of Attraction To Materialize Our Dreams
By Kurt DuNard, The Exceptional Life Coach
The secret is that you have an amazing power within yourself that can bring about miraculous outcomes. The power that you have has been known to cure incurable diseases, build billion dollar companies, create magnificent symphonies, paint masterpieces and build fantastic loving families. The light switch that turns on this power is called visualization. Anyone that has created anything worthwhile in their lives used visualization whether consciously or unconsciously. The ones that systematically use visualization consciously have created amazing success. We all know who they are. They are Olympic athletes, the super rich, star entertainers, top salespeople, and almost anyone you can think of whom you believe has created an exceptional life. Visualization is such a powerful tool that it pays to practice and increase our visualization skills. Here’s how.
Why Visualization Works
- It puts the subconscious on notice by saying “Here are my dreams—help me achieve them.” The subconscious then sends creative ideas and amazing inspirations.
- There is a place in the brain that is called the Reticulated Activating System (RAS). You might tell your subconscious that you would like a blue Lexus LS 430 and all of a sudden you start seeing these cars everywhere. The RAS has been activated and you are noticing lots of beautiful blue cars. Visualization causes you to notice. Before you were blind and now you notice.
- Here is the spooky part. Visualization, like prayer, activates the law of attraction. In totally unexplained, accidental, coincidental ways you attract the right people, the right situations, and the right resources. You are living a charmed life. Most successful people will tell you that they worked hard but they also were very fortunate. You can also be fortunate.
- Visualization creates enthusiasm, excitement, and joy because your subconscious starts believing that your dreams are coming true. Enthusiasm, excitement, and joy are the fuel that is needed to emotionally make it OK to take action to achieve our dreams. You believe that success is yours for the taking and so you are enthused and take action. If diamonds are in the road, you must take action to pick them up and you are enthusiastically picking them up. There must be action—pick them up.
Start Where You Are
Visualization should be a fun relaxing exercise. Visualizing your dreams should never be a chore, a have to, or routine. It should always inspire emotions of happiness and peace.
If you think you are new to visualization, you are mistaken. You have visualized all your life, you were just not conscious of your practice. What may be new is that you have decided to become better at the practice and to be a conscious guide to your visualizations. You have decided to consciously tap into your power. You can only succeed. Follow these few simple rules.
- Visualize what you want. Make them positive visualizations.
- Avoid visualizing disaster or what you don’t want. Avoid negative visualizations.
- Visualize living your dreams now in the present tense and how you feel.
- Use lots of emotions and all the five senses if you can. It is important that your subconscious believes this is real.
- Do balanced visualizations to create a balanced life. Visualize health, prosperity, family, friends, job, spiritual, wisdom, creativity, etc.
- Visualize every day in the morning and just before going to bed. The more you visualize, the more you will look forward to it and the more you will notice positive changes in your life as a result.
Priming the Visualization Pump
The real power to change our lives comes through visualization; however, there are other practices that can help us augment the subconscious other than visualization. These practices can be done through the day or just before a visualization session.
- Use pictures to help you visualize
Find pictures that make you emotionally excited, that represent goals, and aspirations. They could be the perfect house, you at the perfect weight with your picture Photoshoped onto another body, or it could show laughing friends and children. The pictures are more powerful, when you are in the picture. When you test drive your favorite car, have a picture taken of you with the car and another picture that you have taken from behind the wheel. Have a picture for all your dreams and goals. Make sure your goals are balanced in all areas of your life. Otherwise, you could have a great career with a sadly neglected family. Jack Canfield talks about how he took a $1.00 bill and then wrote six zero’s behind the “1” to make it a million dollar bill. He then put that “$1,000,000 bill” above his bed so he would see it every morning. That representation of a million dollars soon materialized in Jack’s life.
- Written Goals on 3 X 5 Cards
Put each goal on one side of the card. You could make it even better if you put a picture on the other side representing the goal. Morning and night, look at each card and visualize how you feel having accomplished this goal in the present moment—not the future.
- Convert Your Goals to Affirmations and Memorize Those Affirmations
These affirmations are a statement of how you feel having accomplished the goal. It is a verbal visualization.
I feel fantastic, full of energy, and always ready for action now that I weigh 150 pounds.
Because you repeat these affirmations so frequently, they almost become a mantra that can be used to still the mind during meditation and visualization. To be effective, however, they must be done with thought and never as a thoughtless chant.
- Get Ready For Success Because You Know it is Here
If you don’t prepare for success, then you don’t believe in success and even if it came you would not be ready. Part of making it happen is to assume all of these ideas work and you must get ready. Buy the new wardrobe for the new job. Learn Italian for your dream vacation to Italy. Move to where you want to live even if everything is not perfect right now. We must have an unwavering faith that everything is going to go our way or maybe even better. That faith is what convinces the law of attraction to go into overdrive.
Example of a Simple Visualization Session
You get very relaxed and sit down in your favorite chair that you use every morning. It is quiet and you have learned to love this time of day. You get out your power pictures that help your visualize. You go through them and get more and more positive. Then you go through your index cards and look at all your goals. You are starting to get ready for visualization. Now you relax, with both feet flat on the ground and both hands resting lightly on the chair arm or on your legs. You close your eyes and slowly you say your affirmations.
Legend has it that Bill Gates, Paul Allen and many Silicone Valley entrepreneurs were influenced by the book The Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel. Here is a series of affirmations he talks about.
I am whole,
You say your affirmations to yourself at least three times. As other thoughts outside of your visualization invade your mind, you come back to saying your affirmations. Now you are in the right frame of mind for effective visualization. You start imagining your life as you live your dreams in the now. You imagine perfect health and what that means to you. You imagine perfect friendships and how they interact with you in your home. You imagine your career working with the kind of people you love and how every day you are being recognized and appreciated for your excellent work. You imagine going to those wonderful places you have only dreamed of—now you are there. Your clothes, the food you eat, where you live, everything is in living color and you can smell the ocean breeze as you sail in your yacht. Everyday as you do your visualizations, the images, the inspirations and faith will become stronger and stronger. One day you will come to a clear realization that you are living what you lived in your visualization only two years ago. It will be no surprise.
Visualize all your goals, dreams and affirmations. Change them when they are no longer exciting. Spend at least fifteen minutes a session.
Copyright © 2008 Kurt DuNard
Kurt DuNard, The Exceptional Life Coach, is the author of EXCEPTIONAL LIFE: Living the Life You Were Meant to Live. High achievers seek him out to pinpoint their soul’s goals, increase abundance, and find more happiness and joy. If you think you would also like these things, then receive your FREE success tools from Kurt DuNard now at www.DuNard.com.